[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun May 1 20:02:00 UTC 2022

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway your script did the trick, and my channels are fixed.

Good to hear it was helpful.  Depending on your
cable company (and what level of service you have),
you may need to pay attention to your bill and
watch for when they change channels that matter
to you (typically every month or so *something*
changes, but it may be channels you do not
subscribe to), and run the script(s) again to keep
things aligned with your cable companies lineup.

Note that Schedules Direct upstream (Gracenote),
tends not to update their lineup (and guide data)
until after the date of the scheduled changes noted
in the bill (and sometimes not even then if the
provider does not let Gracenote know), so do not
be surprised if you sometimes have to open a
case with Schedules Direct to get channels
updated/added/corrected.

Eventually, the MythTV developers hope to
improve the entire MythTV integrated processes
for lineups, but, as usual, spare time tends to be
lacking.  If you are interested in helping out, I am
sure they would consider PR's to improve things.

>  I was looking at the code. It must have been non-trivial to develop.

I had an itch.  It needed scratching.  The script
has issues with certain types of changes (and
the services API limit some capabilities), and I
have a list of improvements I would like to
implement, but it mostly works good enough for
the moment.