[mythtv-users] onn Android TV UHD Streaming Device $19.88

glen glenb at glenb.net
Tue Mar 15 17:20:09 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-03-15 at 13:10 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljsuKxCAURL8m2Sm-rkkvsmhohtnPY3_VayJE0xinw_z9CANFwSnOosLiIwYwY1rmWYCOzkgxRRmCt6hUBA2kI4BB54IM_maIe8y0D0asOxXHC7VxWwJ6QCAFLkr0M2phrZxRKGV9sJMc92Vr7XkO-j6ot57ruviFe8bauD9yX9Kz11EKu5dQjxTY5zf7en-wj1YJcyore9AreeqW1RZukxF6rEv-bVt7sZ-T6tlP_SM_6voHkpBE4w
> http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljktuhDAQRE8Du7bwj4EFi2xyj7a7DVbAHtnOkLl9HEWqTX30VLT5gGTNGLdlmawOzsjpESSRn1GpYLVlHaw16BxJ8qth4fHiczDTfnJyInEbj21aViRjrVSznOhBipXSftZydW5m1OO5Ha0966A_BvXZdd-3wNBeie8qfL7-IjwvLK1CTgkwUcmRoL2gtsJ4xbSDyz8QKyAUdqUvmIDeCc-YvmDPuR8CpAa694ELJ89AXOOeOn0s2_VuR-d9Vy61__-3Ipf9F04PV2c
> http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljk1uxCAUg0-T7ED8zpAFi256jwc8kqgBRkBD5_aDVMkb-7MsB-sjBK3W0xrDtIxOcfaMPAT_ACGilhpl1FqBc4EHvymkHhJei2L7hdnRjH09LI_Gx6fhKJyTYjMR2cY4aGGCdPgI62WP3l9tkV-L-J4aY1CI_c44GvUlzeiAHBopmZQb633iICWSAVeC2huRbKJM1A-ZtVrOQPpNWq8I6cw7ceVvTqzVpnc_JvltWNs8-W9pqfsHwgRNaw
>
> The problems reported in the aftvnews.com reviews seem to have been
> solved.
>
> This device runs mythfrontend (32bit version). In mythfrontend setup,
> the onscreen keyboard takes a long time, up to 30 seconds, to appear.
> Other than that, mythfrontend performance is good. I was able to
> select
> Steppes theme, and play recordings.
>
> leanfront runs well. I watched for an hour with no problems.
>
> It has a cheap power supply (1 Amp), with cheap built-in cable, which
> is
> adequate for the device, but if you want to add an ethernet adapter
> you
> will need a better power supply (2 Amps) plus micro USB cable. A new
> power supply and an ethernet adapter will probably cost as must as,
> or
> more than, the onn. I tested the ethernet connection successfully
> with a
> Fire Stick power supply and generic ethernet adapter
> (
> http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljk1rxCAYhH9NclOMHzE55LAt7a1QumV7ftXXGIhJUHfD9tdXKAwD88AM4ybrwSnZLtMwMCW8kR3TvnPO9sC5V0Kh8EpJMMZ1zo4SqYWIayPZvOJm6IalDZOwugdmtFcDd9p6N5rBcoWm16NjyrfrFEo5ciMuDX-vOs-TQoTffaN2jxVc7o_lE1byVgKmOkquJSHEZZvJa0h7RAu5kC_Ih8GUnrXhjmovTP_cuo_v27VNU3yWUB7knjHlevA_0j3Nf4uvS1g
> ).
>
> The remote is adequate, similar to the Shield remote. Volume control
> on
> the remote is the normal up/down, which I prefer to the Shield swipe
> pad. There is no play/pause or menu button on the remote. Long press
> of
> center button works for menu on mythfrontend and leanfront. There is
> bunch of useless buttons on the remote (Settings, Youtube, Netflix,
> etc.)
>
> The remote can be programmed to operate your TV and sound system.
> This
> is better than the Shield remote but not as good as the fire tv
> remote.
> [...]

I have had very good experience with the walmart onn boxes. I did up it
to better power source. I also changed the storage to 32gig (via usb,
and added an ethernet / usb port
adapter: http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljj0LwyAYhH9NslWMH4kODmmhWwudOuurxkC-MKbS_vpaCsdxz3HDWQVeW87qUQmBOfWGNbjzjbXQakI8p9xRzznTxtjGgmQOgZ7dVDE8TG4xaHGpDopj4wVIIC2VhuBOeoaFo5JIKw34pp5USGnbK9pX5FqUc0Z61p91QbDOpRi2Yltc7QGppDPuxO3-JPzx219I1eMcRgh1VPM7hfQ6HbuLe7nxR7TG4QuYmz9U works
great. I get great results on kodi, netflix etc. Also the device is
easily rooted. I feel it is much better than the amazon devices because
of the flexibility and chipset. It is well covered on XDA forums and
can also accept an alternative rom.