[mythtv-users] onn Android TV UHD Streaming Device $19.88

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:10:19 UTC 2022

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-UHD-Streaming-Device/636597403
https://www.aftvnews.com/walmarts-onn-android-tv-streaming-box-is-a-rebranded-dynalink-google-adt-3-reference-design/
https://www.aftvnews.com/hands-on-overview-of-walmarts-30-onn-4k-android-tv-streaming-box/

The problems reported in the aftvnews.com reviews seem to have been solved.

This device runs mythfrontend (32bit version). In mythfrontend setup,
the onscreen keyboard takes a long time, up to 30 seconds, to appear.
Other than that, mythfrontend performance is good. I was able to select
Steppes theme, and play recordings.

leanfront runs well. I watched for an hour with no problems.

It has a cheap power supply (1 Amp), with cheap built-in cable, which is
adequate for the device, but if you want to add an ethernet adapter you
will need a better power supply (2 Amps) plus micro USB cable. A new
power supply and an ethernet adapter will probably cost as must as, or
more than, the onn. I tested the ethernet connection successfully with a
Fire Stick power supply and generic ethernet adapter
(https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Ethernet-Streaming-Chromecast-Raspberry/dp/B07WV1MTVS).

The remote is adequate, similar to the Shield remote. Volume control on
the remote is the normal up/down, which I prefer to the Shield swipe
pad. There is no play/pause or menu button on the remote. Long press of
center button works for menu on mythfrontend and leanfront. There is a
bunch of useless buttons on the remote (Settings, Youtube, Netflix, etc.)

The remote can be programmed to operate your TV and sound system. This
is better than the Shield remote but not as good as the fire tv remote.
It operates your TV or sound system volume control. It can power on your
TV or your sound system but not both. The fire stick can power on both,
the shield cannot power on either.

This is a good alternative to fire stick 4K or Shield, at less than half
the price of the fire stick and one tenth the price of the Shield.

Peter