[mythtv-users] Noob needs help- first time backend setup

Tom Peters linuxinside at att.net
Thu Mar 10 22:14:31 UTC 2022

At 03:27 PM 3/10/2022, Scott Theisen wrote:
>On 3/10/22 15:20, Tom Peters wrote:
>>Hi y'all, experienced Linux guy here, also absolute noob with MythTV.
>>
>>But I'm at a complete loss as to tell it what
>>my HDHomeRun boxes IP addresses are (I have two
>>of them, two tuners each). I can't figure out
>>how to configure anything about them.
>>Evidently, they are identified by some sort of
>>code, which looks to me like a MAC address
>>fragment. Fine, that's great, how do I tell it to find it?
>
>In the screen with New Capture card and selected
>HDHomeRun Networked Tuner, you need to hit the
>*right arrow key* to enter the next screen,
>which should list your devices.  There is a
>little arrow on the right side of the selection
>as a hint.  MythTV's UI is mostly keyboard
>based, with some partial mouse support.

Ding! Ding! Ding! That was the secret sauce. I
tried clicking the little rightwards-pointing
arrow on the screen, but it just took me to the
"Choose card type" dialog again. Pressing the
actual right-arrow key on the keyboard it what I needed.

Thanks so much for showing me the secret handshake to get into the club.

>You need to add one device per tuner, i.e. two per device in your case.

Slightly puzzled by that. What do you mean by "device" in this context?

Each HDHR box has a pair of tuners. Do I need to
add four (something) in my case? Two (something)
for each (other something)? Confused by the terminology here.

I think that I have to add two Capture Cards, one for each HDHR box. Right???

Or should I use a single card? In the setup for
each card, it asks "Use 172.20.0.118?" and "Use
172.20.0.119?" -- should I only add one capture
card and allow it to use both boxes?

>See the wiki
><https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Capture_Cards#Card_type:_HDHomeRun_networked_tuner>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Capture_Cards#Card_type:_HDHomeRun_networked_tuner
>(some pages are more up to date than others,
><https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_setup
>is less up to date than the user manual page, for example.)
>

>>Exiting the mythtv-setup program, I can run this:
>># hdhomerun_config discover
>>hdhomerun device 101A2E3D found at 172.20.0.118
>>hdhomerun device 10186C10 found at 172.20.0.119
>>The hdhomerun_gui tool runs fine, and shows me
>>four tuners. I can scan for channels and click
>>"View" and watch TV in a VLC window. The
>>Channel box shows "us-bcast" and "5" -- this
>>seems to be the lowest channel number with a
>>signal on it. It's pretty bad in my area.
>>channel "8" is the first one that has solid reception.
>
>There are some gotchas with the networks tuners,
>in that, if MythTV can't find them on startup,
>it won't connect even once they are available.
>
>I have worked around that using the following script:
>```
>#!/bin/bash
># run loop on startup to determine when the tuner becomes available
>
>LOG="/tmp/hdhomerun_config.out"
>
>for i in $(seq 30); do
>Â Â Â  hdhomerun_config discover 2>&1 >> $LOG
>Â Â Â  if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
>        echo "HD Homerun is up ($(date)).  Iteration " $i >> $LOG
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  exit 0
>Â Â Â  fi
>Â Â Â  sleep 2
>done
>
>echo "Couldn't see the HD homerun in 30 seconds!" >> $LOG
>exit 1
>```
>
>and adding that as a prerequisite service for mythbackend.service.
>

>>I have a subscription to Schedules Direct. I
>>haven't even tried to set that up yet.
>>
>>I noodled around a little in the Video sources
>>menu, but don't really know what I'm doing. I
>>created a source called "Antenna1" with
>>         no grabber,
>>         channel freq table=usbcast
>>         scan frequency=0
>>         Network ID=-1
>>         Bouquet-0
>>         Region ID=0
>>
>>All I have in Input Connections is one called [
>>HDHOMERUN: ] (none) -> (none) which has in its config:
>>         Input Name: MPEG2TS
>>         Display name: Input1
>>         Video Source: Antenna1
>>         Use Quick tuning: Never
>>         . . .
>>         Starting channel: Please add channels to this source.
>>
>>Under Channel scan, I go through the dialogs
>>there and click "Scan" and the result is "Programmer Error: No Device"
>
>You should only need to scan once for all the
>tuners, assuming they're using the same antenna.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott

THOMAS M. PETERS • LinuxInside at att.net • Senior
Systems Administrator / Network & Telecom Admin
N9QQB (amateur radio) • Musician • Registered Linux User 385531