[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun tuner errors

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 15:36:35 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2022, at 7:52 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> After setting my HDHomerun tuner to a good channel I started capturing
> packets with:
>
> hdhomerun_config 1043ECAB save /tuner0 capture.ts
>
> I stopped it with control-c and it displayed these stats:
>
> -- Video statistics --
> 1953914 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 36
> transport errors, 4 sequence errors
>
> If I understand correctly, this means that my network is not the source of
> my issues.  It is elsewhere.  What are transport errors and sequence
> errors?  I'm assuming this is related to something about the signal being
> received at the antenna?
>

> Correct, your signal is not very good AT the tuner. If you are ‘close to
> the broadcast antenna', you might try doing a ‘refresh’ of connections…
> disconnecting each connection, cleaning the central conductor, and
> reconnecting it. The channel you are capturing above, does it have issues
> on other tuners such as your television?
>
> If so, then you’ll probably need to trouble shoot your antenna cabling.
> If you can, the simplest is to use an entirely different cable from antenna
> to HDHR tuner and start there.
>
> Regards.

All my tuners, HDHR and WinTV quadTV PCIe card connect to the same
antenna.   I'm less than 10 miles from the towers. I have the non amplified
antenna connected to a 8 way splitter and this helps keep the signal from
overloading any tuner.  My HDHR all read 98-100% on signal and quality.  My
PCIe tuner also shows a high signal.  I rarely see a problem when I'm
looking for it.  I can record all 3 1 hour programs in primetime on CBS and
2 will look good and one will have its title in yellow which means trouble.

I just ran a test recording for 1 hour on a channel and I had -v
record,dvbcam set as additional args. Not a single error:

<RecordingQuality overall_score="1" key="10501_2022-06-30T14:00:00Z"
continuity_error_count="0" packet_count="26823540" />

I'll keep plugging away.I just hooked up my HDHR Quatro and will see if
it's just my HDHR Connect that is having this issue at night.

Jim A