[mythtv-users] setting up a AirTV Anywhere tuner with MythTV

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 19:00:29 UTC 2022

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> It is also possible to set up a "man in the middle" PC which connects
> to the device you are trying to see the traffic from and bridges that
> traffic to the subnet it is normally supposed to go to.  But that
> requires a higher level of networking expertise, and two network
> interfaces.  It is much easier to do with Ethernet than WiFi, but then
> requires two Ethernet ports.

From memory :

brctl adder br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
ip address add <address> dev br0

There might be a need for some link up commands, it’s a long time since I last did this.

or in /etc/network/interfaces

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
  bridge_ports eth0 eth1
  address <address>
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway <address>

In either case you now have a bridge which is functionally the same as a hardware network switch. Packets will be forwarded automatically as needed. And you can sniff packets on the physical interfaces as they pass through.

Simon