[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:50:37 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 1:35 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 3:02 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All (most) home routers that run Linux (99% probably) LAN ports are
> already software bridged using the exact same commands I just outlined
> anyway :)
>
> Only the old(er)/cheap(er) ones.  Most recent
> SoCs that are being used in consumer routers
> have internal switching capabilities that can be
> used along with hardware NAT support (a
> L2/L3/L4 multilayer design), in addition to
> integrated WiFi.  And the reason for using
> these SoCs is, of course, money.  A single
> SoC that integrates everything results in a
> cheaper/faster to engineer and certify solution.
> It also means when the SoC vendors S/RDK
> turns out to have a VULN it impacts a lot of
> devices from different vendors since they all
> used the same base.  Qualcomm and
> Broadcom are some big manufactures of
> such SoCs.

So what are the brands and models of home WiFi AP /routers that are any
good? I've tried Netgear and my current one is TP-Link with WiFi 6.  I have
about 50 devices connected to it either ethernet or WiFi. To get around
some switching issues I have only one LAN port of my TP-Link feeding my
bank of Gbe switches

Jim A