[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:34:19 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 3:02 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> All (most) home routers that run Linux (99% probably) LAN ports are already software bridged using the exact same commands I just outlined anyway :)

Only the old(er)/cheap(er) ones.  Most recent
SoCs that are being used in consumer routers
have internal switching capabilities that can be
used along with hardware NAT support (a
L2/L3/L4 multilayer design), in addition to
integrated WiFi.  And the reason for using
these SoCs is, of course, money.  A single
SoC that integrates everything results in a
cheaper/faster to engineer and certify solution.
It also means when the SoC vendors S/RDK
turns out to have a VULN it impacts a lot of
devices from different vendors since they all
used the same base.  Qualcomm and
Broadcom are some big manufactures of
such SoCs.