[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase taking FOREVER

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:27:36 UTC 2022

> On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:33:09 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Recently, I'm noticing that mythfilldtabase is taking something like 12
>> hours to finish. I know we had some issues with SD and the backend
>> maintenance, so not sure if that has been fully resolved.
>>
>> I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and mythtv v30.0.  I use the sdjson_sqlite grabber
>> v1.109 and xmltv v0.5.70.  I only have about 100 channels set as "selected"
>> in the sqlite database.
>>
>> Mythfilldatabase sits forever on the message "pruning local database"
>>
>> I see very low CPU utilization on a four vCPU i7 VM with 8GB RAM.
>>
>> Any thoughts on why this is taking so long?
>>
>> Larry

Does the disk thrash during the run? I found that mythfilldatabase took
a long time and there was considerable disk thrashing. My solution was
to add nobarrier in the fstab for the fie system that stores the mysql
database.

UUID=f8877741-668e-462b-8315-613a44fc5698 /               ext4
nobarrier,errors=remount-ro  0       1

If you have an SSD this is likely not applicable. In my case with a hard
drive this was a huge improvement.

HTH. YMMV.