[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:23:51 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 7:08 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a NUC with  2 RJ45 ports on the back. One is 2.5Gb and the other is 1Gb.  Is there a simple way to connect a HDHomeRun Connect tuner to one of these ports so it would work with Mythtv and eliminate any record problems that I'm having from being network related??

You do not mention the details of your record problems,
but the hdhomerun_config utility is capable of (indirectly)
running and reporting on certain network issues (using
the save request).

A HDHR will attempt to issue a DHCP request to
get an address, but will also self assign an IP
address in the reserved private local range
(169.254.x.x).  Your computer (if appropriately
configured) can also use an address in that range
and communicate with the HDHR on your network
port.  Note that the local address may change at
each reboot, so you will want to configure your
HDHR by device id.

Alternatively, you can setup your own DHCP server
for that network port for your HDHR.