[mythtv-users] Unicable problems

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:00:44 UTC 2022

On Sun, 29 May 2022 at 20:12, Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2022 at 12:34, Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > Wiadomość napisana przez Matthias Thyroff <matthias at thyroff.net> w
>> dniu 28.05.2022, o godz. 21:09:

>> tuners, 35-50 recordings per day; usually 3..8 concurrent recordings tested
>> 16 w/o any problems; months without failed recording)

>> 1680 for third; 2040 for 4th)

>> set appropriate values in steeps: 11 and 12

>> others starting from 1
>> starting with 1

>> resending tune commands to get reliable each userband PLL setting in
>> unicable unit at myth tuning time.
>> single tune command - i have 5-10% of failed tunings.
>> goinf down to approx 0.01%.
>> repeat count in steep 14 to value above 10, myth will enter resending mode
>> with N-10 resends. So i.e. setting to 13 will cause 3 sends of tune command
>> at tuning stage

>> > Hi Piotr,
>> >
>> > that gives me hope! :-)
>> >
>> > I have done all as you say and man I have a hard time getting it to
>> work. I have tried back and forth a million things and times, and still I
>> can't rule out (1) failing cards (2) failing antenna (3) failing cables (4)
>> failing drivers (5) failing mythtv
>> >
>> > because it is so inconsistent. When it works, as you say, tuning fails
>> frequently especially at the first tune,  but resending 9 or 15 times has
>> not done anything, it seems I need to change channel back and forth to get
>> a lock.
>> >
>> > What cards are you using?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Matthias
>> >

>> Matthias,
>>
>> Ok - then indeed we have checklist to do:
>> (1) failing antenna
>> (2) failing cables
>> (3) failing cards
>> (4) failing drivers
>> (5) failing mythtv DVB subsys
>> (6) failing LNB unicable implementation
>> (7) failing mythtv unicable implementation
>>

>> Without steep-by-steep elimination we will not able to find root case and
>> fix.
>>
>> Lest start with list+order like i'm proposing
>>
>> (1) failing antena/ (2)failing cables:
>> can yo go for test with no Unicable and make sure LNB+dish are positioned
>> ok?
>> Ideally will be i.e. with borrowed SAT receiver and: tune to SAT channel
>> + verify signal strength + S/N are good enough for reliable reception?
>> (borrow receiver from friend, neighbourhood, etc)
>>
>> If above will show you all is ok - the we can go with (3)
>> Install on you BE software to watch SAT TV.
>> best will be sw. provided by card vendor eventually any well known SAT
>> watching software.
>> Alternatively You can try with tools scanning SAT transponders:
>>
>> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequency_scan#Comparison_of_DVB_frequency_scanning_commandline_utilities
>> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scan
>> https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Dvbscan

> [...]
similar to the description of Piotr, but with more words.
With this procedure my DVBSky S952 cards do work OK with Unicable.

After that I went back to the DVBSky S950-C card, configured with the same
procedure.
This card still does not work reliably, with behavior similar to what
Matthias describes.

To get an indication whether this is a MythTV software problem I have now
also used minisatip (see https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip) to handle
the S950-C card; MythTV is configured to use the Sat>IP protocol to talk to
the minisatip server. This configuration has similar behavior and similar
problems. This makes it unlikely, although not impossible, that it is a bug
in the MythTV Unicable implementation.
Note that when the S950-C card is connected to a normal ("legacy") LNB the
card works OK.

@Mathias, it would be interesting to know if your tuner cards do work OK
when using the minisatip server to control the cards with Unicable.
@Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com>  it would also be interesting
which tuner cards you have tested with Unicable.

Thanks,
Klaas.