[mythtv-users] manage recordings

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:48:15 UTC 2022

On 04/01/2022 09:09, Klaus Becker wrote:

> Am 04/01/2022 um 02:24 schrieb Peter Bennett:

>>> One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the
>>> recordings you want and to allocate a different disk partition to it.
>>> That way any future records will go to that disk and be much easier
>>> to handle and move.
>>>
>>> That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is
>>> possible to change the storage group of an existing recording but
>>> myth will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do
>>> that yourself.
>>>
>>> One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a
>>> GUI pull up two copies of File Manager and select the files you want
>>> to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new partition. This
>>> ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can
>>> clarify that.
>>>
>> Here is my script that does exactly that. It copies whatever group I
>> have specified in ROAM_CATEGORIES (misnamed, I know).
>>
>> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamexport.sh
>>

>> Other scripts it references are in the same directory.
>>
>> The script which imports the database onto my laptop and fixes it so
>> that the recordings will work is here. This assumes I have MythTV
>> installed on the laptop so that I can access the recordings there:
>>
>> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamimport.sh
>>

>> Peter
>

> Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.
>
> I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
> regard the recordings with vlc.
>
> Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
> neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
> recordings with their real name.
>
> When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
> weeks.
>
> Klaus

If you want only the file, with a meaningful name but without metadata,
you can use mythlink to put links into a folder, use your file manager
to copy the links that you want to another folder, and then either cp -L
* or rsync -L * to the laptop.  IIRC I used to do that, but I haven't
tried it recently.

John P