[mythtv-users] manage recordings

Klaus Becker colonius47 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 09:09:49 UTC 2022

Am 04/01/2022 um 02:24 schrieb Peter Bennett:

> On 1/3/22 5:51 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 03/01/2022 20:33, Klaus Becker wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In my media library, I have about 50 recordings for me and about 250
>>> for my daughter. I have a group for me and another one for my
>>> daughter, but the recordings are alltogether in the same folder on my
>>> desktop computer.
>>>
>>> This is a problem when I am not at home and I want to regard films.
>>> The difficulty is to copy some of the films on my laptop.
>>>
>>> I have about 300 films in one folder on my desktop, how to find some
>>> of the 50 films for me I could copy on my laptop ?
>>>
>>> I use mythlink and I see the real name of the recordings in the
>>> folder "links". But it is not easy to get a list of the links and
>>> their targets. I already did it with readlink, but I cannot find
>>> again who to do. And even with this list, it is not easy to select
>>> and copy recordings.
>>>
>>> My daughter does not often regard here recordings. So the best way
>>> would be to move them to another dedicated folder. If I move them to
>>> "Videos", I shall loose all the informations about them. If possible,
>>> I would like to keep them.
>>>
>>> thanks for your hints
>>>
>> One way would be to define a separate Storage group for the recordings
>> you want and to allocate a different disk partition to it. That way
>> any future records will go to that disk and be much easier to handle
>> and move.
>>
>> That does not help your present situation, though. I think it is
>> possible to change the storage group of an existing recording but myth
>> will not move the file to the new disk, you would have to do that
>> yourself.
>>
>> One way that I might do it would be to use the mythlink 'links'. In a
>> GUI pull up two copies of File Manager and select the files you want
>> to move, then simply drag-and-drop them onto the new partition. This
>> ought to move the files rather than the links, somebody else can
>> clarify that.
>>
> Here is my script that does exactly that. It copies whatever group I
> have specified in ROAM_CATEGORIES (misnamed, I know).
>
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamexport.sh
>

> Other scripts it references are in the same directory.
>
> The script which imports the database onto my laptop and fixes it so
> that the recordings will work is here. This assumes I have MythTV
> installed on the laptop so that I can access the recordings there:
>
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts/blob/master/install/opt/mythtv/bin/roamimport.sh
>

> Peter

Thanks for the answers, I shall regard that.

I forgot to say that on the laptop, I have not MythTV installed, I
regard the recordings with vlc.

Of course, I can install MythTV, but I am not sure it's really
neccessary and useful. I just need on the laptop some selected
recordings with their real name.

When I am not at home, each time it's just for some days or one to two
weeks.

Klaus