[mythtv-users] Can I tell mythfilldatabase not to reschedule?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 11:49:23 UTC 2022

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 10:55:48 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Since where I live (Belgium) is poorly served by reliable metadata
>> sources I have to use multiple grabbers and do some preprocessing before
>> importing the metadata using mythfilldatabase --xmlfile. That's three
>> mythfilldatabase runs one after the other.
>>
>> After these mythfilldatabase runs I do some postprocessing using sql
>> scripts, and then run mythutil --resched.
>>
>> Some of that postprocessing affects criteria that are used in recording
>> rules, such that certain shows that the raw metadata suggests should be
>> recorded end up not having to be. For example: my postprocessing marks
>> shows I have on DVD or blueray as not to be rerecorded.
>>
>> The trouble is that each mythfilldatabase run also asks the backend to
>> reschedule, and occasionally a recording immediately begins of a show
>> that my postprocessing decides should not be recorded.
>>
>> I would like to avoid that by getting mythfilldatabase not to also
>> reschedule, leaving me to do that at the end of the nightly script. Can
>> this be done?
>>
>> Many thanks, Jan
>
> I do SQL postprocessing too, and I have never found a way to prevent
> mythfilldatabase from rescheduling.  Fortunately, the problem of
> recordings starting immediately is not one I normally get, but it
> would be nice to not have to worry about it.  But I think that would
> require a patch to mythfilldatabase - probably not a difficult one
> though.

There is a way to prevent rescheduling and it is fairly simple, but of course there are consequences!

Simply stop the backend.

Very occasionally when I have had to do a rescan I will run mfdb in oder to check that it has the
right channel lineup and xmltv-ids etc. The backend will have been shut down while I use setup, of
course, and mfdb will always complain at the end that it cannot reschedule because the backend is
not there.

So, your answer is to stop the backend, run your schedule updates and then restart the backend once
everything is done.

How easy that will be to mechanise is left as an exercise for the reader.

--

Mike Perkins