[mythtv-users] today's mythtv update for v31 failed

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:38:48 UTC 2022

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 14:16:41 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That wasn't what I meant. I wondered if your *version* of python had
>>> changed recently, as the result
>>> of an update.
>>>
>>> However, if you can run it by hand then that would likely be a no.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike Perkins
>>>
>> The system in Ubuntu 21.10 and python3 is all there is. I'm pretty sure
>> there was a permissions issue on the hdhr_discovery.log file. Either  that
>> or somebody is running around and changing the ownership of files in
>> /var/log/mythtv during an update.
>>
>> Jim A
> Manually running the HDHR Python program will change the ownership of
> the log file to whoever it was run from.  A permanent fix for this
> would be to touch the log file from the mythtv-backend service before
> running the Python program.  So try adding something like these lines
> to your override.conf file before the one that runs the Python
> program:
>
> ExecStartPre=-/bin/rm /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
> ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/touch /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
> ExecStartPre=-/bin/chown mythtv:mythtv
> /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
> ExecStartPre=-/bin/chmod a=rw /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
>
> Note: These 4 ExecStartPre lines are each all one line - my email
> client wraps long lines.

The hdhr_discovery.log file ownership is not being changed by the
hdhomerun_check.py I set the ownership to mythtv:mythtv yesterday and
mythtv-backend.service has been run several times since then. I think
the reason is that the python3 program only appends to an existing file.

That along with the fact that mythtv-backend.service runs as user
'mythtv'. Looking at .service, which is standard *ubuntu version.

[Service]
User=mythtv
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS
StartLimitBurst=10
StartLimitInterval=10m
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1

and my override.conf is:

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/usr/local/bin/hdhomerun_check.py

Jim A