[mythtv-users] today's mythtv update for v31 failed

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Feb 4 04:56:20 UTC 2022

On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 14:16:41 -0500, you wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>wrote:
>

>> That wasn't what I meant. I wondered if your *version* of python had
>> changed recently, as the result
>> of an update.
>>
>> However, if you can run it by hand then that would likely be a no.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>>

>The system in Ubuntu 21.10 and python3 is all there is. I'm pretty sure
>there was a permissions issue on the hdhr_discovery.log file. Either  that
>or somebody is running around and changing the ownership of files in
>/var/log/mythtv during an update.
>
>Jim A

Manually running the HDHR Python program will change the ownership of
the log file to whoever it was run from.  A permanent fix for this
would be to touch the log file from the mythtv-backend service before
running the Python program.  So try adding something like these lines
to your override.conf file before the one that runs the Python
program:

ExecStartPre=-/bin/rm /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/touch /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
ExecStartPre=-/bin/chown mythtv:mythtv
/var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log
ExecStartPre=-/bin/chmod a=rw /var/log/mythtv/hdhr_discovery.log

Note: These 4 ExecStartPre lines are each all one line - my email
client wraps long lines.