[mythtv-users] macOS Mythfrontend autobuilds via github

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:57:37 UTC 2022

Apologies for the lack of new builds lately.  The upgrade to macOS Ventura
presented many a VM obstacle so I had to pivot to a new method of building
the application.

To solve the VM problem, I've managed to get autobuilds of Mythfrontend up
and running using github actions for both fixes/32 and master (pre-33).
Currently the builds are done on the available github runners for intel
architectures only (I'm working on an ARM / apple silicon solution...) for
Catalina (10.15), Big Sur (11), and Monterey (12).

The github action auto uploads generated .dmg files to the usual
SourceForge site (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/).
Note - look for the date stamp if multiple builds are present as I'm still
struggling through the logic to archive off the old builds. The action is
set to run weekly and will post updated dmg's if the fixes/32 or master git
repos receive commits.

For macOS 11 and 12, these applications and dmg files are both signed and
notarized with a valid apple developer id.

I'll keep posting autobuilds for macOS versions that have supported
github runners (warning Catalina is about to get retired this week...) and
will update the runners list as additional macOS versions (and
architectures) become available.

The code for the github action is located here:
https://github.com/MythTVforMacOS/compileMythfrontend

Very happy to get any feedback and suggestions from the github actions
knowledgeable users on this list on ways to improve the build and upload
process.  I've just started playing around with github actions, and keep
learning new tricks and features as I go.

In regards to Ventura (intel and ARM based builds), I will keep doing those
manually until a github runner is stood up to support those architectures.
I don't currently have a path forward for Big Sur/Monterey based ARM
builds, but am looking into alternatives to using VMs (happy to get
thoughts and ideas).

Regards,
John