[mythtv-users] what is the best mythfrontend setup for 4K TV?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:21:31 UTC 2022

I have a new Sony UHD 4K TV with 120Hz refresh. It also has Google TV built
in so I can load apps including mythfrontend and Leanfront.

I also have a NUC PC that is 4K capable and it's connected to one of the
HDMI ports. I'm testing different setups on the NUC to see what works best
for mythtv.

Currently I have Linux Mint 21 installed and mythtv installed using the PPA.
With my previous 4K TV I had to force the display to 1920x1080 at 60. With the
Sony, I can use a 4K resolution with 200% scaling or force it to 1920x1080.

Mythfrontend seems to be better at 1920x1080, but that causes issues with
text boxes like term or edit to have messed up colors with what should be
black and while.

Are there recommendations for mythfrontend on 4K TVs? I'm thinking I have
to use 3840x2160 to make everything in the text boxes look good.

Jim A