[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:10:45 UTC 2022

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 1:58 AM Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 24/04/2022 23:00, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed to
> > be getting new data.  I restarted the backend. I then started the
> frontend
> > and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it was,
> including
> > the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present in the db anymore.
> > Where is it even getting them?  Also I don't see anywhere in setup where
> > specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is supposed to use.
> >
> When you create a data source, the name you give it will become the name
> of the xmltv file which is
> used. ie <sourcename> in setup becomes
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv. You connect that
> source to the tuner(s) which are able to receive those channels.
>
> Thus, for each source you have, there will be a separate .xmltv file with
> info related to the
> channels that source can receive. Which makes sense, each different source
> will have different
> tuning characteristics, frequencies and channel numbering - and, possibly,
> different methods of
> obtaining schedule information.
>
> <sourcename> is *not* provided by mythtv. You have to define them when you
> create a new source. If
> you see names in wiki entries, etc, they are names chosen by the writers
> of that information and
> refer to their own systems, not yours.
>
> Mythfilldatabase (mfdb) will run once, reading every .xmltv file in the
> .mythtv directory in turn.
> Note that the backend /should/ be running while the database is being
> updated as mfdb will call the
> backend as it finishes. If the backend is not running, there will usually
> be a warning message at
> the end of the mfdb log file.
>
> Note that in recent releases, the 'old' channel information is not deleted
> when you create a new
> source, as this may destroy links to old recorded programs which still
> exist in the system. However,
> those channels should not appear in the channel listings any more.
>
> Here is what I've got in relevant directories:
 /home/mythtv/.xmltv
     -rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv  2273280 Apr 24 08:57 SchedulesDirect.DB
     -rw-r--r-- 1 root   root        169 Apr 22 17:38
SchedulesDirect-hdpvr.DB
     -rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 16003072 Apr 23 22:17
SchedulesDirect-sd-ota.DB
     -rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv    98304 Jul 27  2020
SchedulesDirect-sd-otr.DB

/home/mythtv/.mythtv
     drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv  4096 Jul 26  2020 3rdParty
     drwxr-xr-x 6 mythtv mythtv  4096 Jul 27  2020 cache
     drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 24576 Apr 19 18:58 channels
     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root      22 Jul 26  2020 config.xml ->
/etc/mythtv/config.xml
     -rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv   148 Jul 27  2020 hdpvr.xmltv
     -rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv    48 Apr 23 17:22 hdpvr.xmltv.TMP
     -rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv   163 Apr 23 17:28 SchedulesDirect.xmltv
     -rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv   170 Jul 27  2020 sd-ota.xmltv
     -rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv    48 Apr 23 17:22 sd-ota.xmltv.TMP
     drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv  4096 Jul 26  2020 themes
     drwxr-xr-x 4 mythtv mythtv  4096 Jul 26  2020 tmp

The ones dated 2020 are from the last time I set this up.  It looks like,
per your post, the .xmltv files I generated over the weekend did not
overwrite the old ones, but were assigned to .TMP extensions.

Do I need all those DB files under ../.xmltv? What else do I need to do to
straighten this out, hopefully without wiping out existing recordings?