[mythtv-users] Cable company changes channel numbers?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 08:56:42 UTC 2022

On 24/04/2022 23:00, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed to
> be getting new data.  I restarted the backend. I then started the frontend
> and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it was, including
> the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present in the db anymore.
> Where is it even getting them?  Also I don't see anywhere in setup where I
> specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is supposed to use.

When you create a data source, the name you give it will become the name of the xmltv file which is
used. ie <sourcename> in setup becomes /home/mythtv/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv. You connect that
source to the tuner(s) which are able to receive those channels.

Thus, for each source you have, there will be a separate .xmltv file with info related to the
channels that source can receive. Which makes sense, each different source will have different
tuning characteristics, frequencies and channel numbering - and, possibly, different methods of
obtaining schedule information.

<sourcename> is *not* provided by mythtv. You have to define them when you create a new source. If
you see names in wiki entries, etc, they are names chosen by the writers of that information and
refer to their own systems, not yours.

Mythfilldatabase (mfdb) will run once, reading every .xmltv file in the .mythtv directory in turn.
Note that the backend /should/ be running while the database is being updated as mfdb will call the
backend as it finishes. If the backend is not running, there will usually be a warning message at
the end of the mfdb log file.

Note that in recent releases, the 'old' channel information is not deleted when you create a new
source, as this may destroy links to old recorded programs which still exist in the system. However,
those channels should not appear in the channel listings any more.

--

Mike Perkins