[mythtv-users] RedHat vs Ubuntu

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 10:21:35 UTC 2021

On 23/09/2021 11:10, Ken Smith via mythtv-users wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't want to start a distro war discussion here. Just a practical thread about the state of play
> with Myth in 2021.
>

> Since 2007 I have run various incarnations of MythTV on RedHat derived systems. Various flavours of
> Fedora and latterly Centos. I chose RedHat as I work with that in my day-job and I'm most familiar
> with it. The MythTV rpm builds done by Axel Thimm and others have worked well so far....
>
> With the debacle over Centos 8 last year I have been attempting to set up my latest incarnation of
> MythTV on AlmaLinux, with is a Redhat 8 clone. I've attempted to use the MythTV rpm made available
> at RPMFusion. As some may have noticed in my other recent thread, there is a MySQL / MariaDB
> conflict when installing that version. I know I could force the install but generally the
> installation is really messy.
>
> I raised a Bug at RPMFusion over a week ago and have had no response at all. Not even a "this is
> duplicate of xyz or you are doing something dumb"
>
> For MythTV > v28 is a RedHat/RPMFusion a viable way forward?
>
> Is anyone else currently using a RedHat derived system?
>
> As I see it there are these options
>
> - Somehow get the RPMFusion rpm sorted out. Not having much luck with that.
> - Find an alternative repository with a current rpm build. I do see MythTV 0.27 for Fedora 19 on
> ATRPM's but Fedora 19 went EoL in 2015.
> - Build from source on AlmaLinux.
> - Drop RedHat and switch to Ubuntu.
>
> I rather suspect the last option is the only real way forward.
>
> I do appreciate the hours of voluntary effort put in my many to produce a truly excellent system
> that is head and shoulders ahead of anything else.
>
> Thoughts
>
> :-) Ken

I have been using Debian for many years on all my systems. It may not be cutting edge but that's
fine with me.

For mythtv I use the deb-multimedia repository (https://deb-multimedia.org) and just pull from that.
Everything just works.

Building a server is very simple but will require some command-line knowledge to pull in the
packages you need.

I have tried Ubuntu several times in the past and consider it over-engineered for my own needs. Why
go to the monkey when you can go directly to the organ-grinder?

If you want to go down the Debian route email me and I'll list out what I did to get my current setup.

--

Mike Perkins