[mythtv-users] ***Spam*** dvd subtitles colors

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:54:20 UTC 2021

On 02/09/2021 02:27, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> So anybody any suggestions?

FWIW, I use MakeMKV to first rip the raw DVD or BR to disk, then use
Handbrake to transcode the videocontent (with burned-in subtitles where
required) to .mp4. If necessary I first use VLC to determine which DVD
tracks I actually need (using its Playback > Title functionality), and
then tell MakeMKV only to rip those. (For some reason that only works
with DVDs, not Bluerays).

Whereas this process is slower than ripping and transcoding in one step
using Handbrake, it is much more reliable, in that MakeMKV can rip
absolutely all disks you throw at it (whereas Handbrake chokes on some,
using the same physical DVD or BR drive). Furthermore finding the right
subtitle track can be a hit-and-miss affair, and it is much faster to
use Handbrake a few times on an already-ripped DVD image than to have to
re-rip the DVD for each attempt at finding the correct subtitle track
(and associated settings: forced-only or not).

Furthermore I can delegate the heavy lifting (i.e. the transcoding) to
my server. That is: I use my laptop to do the ripping and have
configured MakeMKV to place its output on the server (which is also the
MythTV backend). Then I run Handbrake on the server through an ssh -Y
session and do the transcoding there. If necessary I can view the
generated .mp4 files on the laptop using vlc. The server's CPU has a
vastly over-dimensioned heat sink so it doesn't break a sweat when used
at 100% for hours on end, whereas my laptop becomes too noisy for this
kind of work, to the extent that I have to reduce its clock frequency
quite a lot whenever it's doing something CPU-intensive.

When I'm satisfied I rsync the .mp4s to MythTV's storage group. I still
keep the ripped raw DVD images around until I've viewed the content for
the first time, so as to quickly be able to fix any snags.

To answer the original question: I have not yet encountered a situation
in which the above process did not yield usable subtitles (assuming the
disk contains the needed subtitles to begin with).

HTH, Jan