[mythtv-users] Transcoding all recordings to h.265

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Mon May 24 14:27:05 UTC 2021

I've been using MythTV for 13 years, but never looked into transcoding,
partly because I didn't want any quality loss, but also because most people
seemed to be using it to create smaller files with the commercials cut out,
and from normal watching I found commercial detection to be amazing but not
reliable that I would trust it not to delete actual content.  (Although it
looks like it might be much better nowadays - I watched SNL [usually a real
challenge] last night and it did a flawless job.)

But what I'd like to do now is transpose all of my multi-terabyte recording
collection from .ts to h.265 mp4 (or similar), hopefully keeping the
commercials in but keeping the commercial cutlist (although maybe it
wouldn't be a bad idea to re-detect all the commercials with the latest
algorithm).

Is that doable from within MythTV?

Cheers