[mythtv-users] Advice on v31 installation?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:38:31 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:23 PM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:08:27 -0400
>     > From: James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>
>     >
> https://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2020/07/combined-mythtv-v31-media-system-and.html
>
> Thanks.
>
> So if I'm reading this correctly, you used Mythbuntu (meaning Mythbuntu
> Control Panel?  I'm a little unsure if there's distinction) and the
> SQLite version of the grabber.  (Was there some reason you're nusing the
> JSON version?  I don't know if there's a reason to prefer
> one or the other.)
>
> I take it whichever choice Mythbuntu made on the DB (which was it?
> MariaDB or MySQL?) Just Works and I don't have to worry about that?
>
> (And of course you didn't have the issue of wanting to run new & old
> simultaneously & not bash lineups, etc.)

No, I use Xubuntu 20.04 bootable USB to install and just followed these
instructions. I remember MCP from Mythbuntu Distro back in the day, but
that's not what I used.

I went with the default MySQL that Mythtv defaults too if no MariaDB is
installed prior to Mythtv.  I have used MariaDB in the past but got caught
with a problem that made a patch fail a couple of years ago.

I have run old and new versions of the backend at the same time and
configure the frontends to work with the correct one for me.