[mythtv-users] Advice on v31 installation?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:08:27 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:35 AM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi.  I'm looking for some advice on installing v31.  I'll be doing so
> under Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> I'm currently running a truly ancient version.  I'll be installing on
> an entirely separate machine and running both in parallel while I figure
> out my v31 installation.  To start with, I'm just going to set up a new
> database, at least for testing; once I get everything working, I -might-
> dump the new, test DB and try to migrate the old DB, but it's going to
> be quite involved and I'm on a bit of a schedule before Comcast drops
> support for my equally-ancient cable boxes, so I'll get the test system
> running first and ask any questions about migration later.
>
> (a) I don't want to interfere with the ancient myth's lineups (using DD)
> in any way while setting up the new machine's lineups (presumably using
> XMLTV).  The two lineups will be -very- different because the two myths
> will receive via very different hardware and have access to different
> channels.  I see that SD supports up to four lineups, but can I rely on
> a new installation using a new lineup and not bashing the old one?  How
> are they differentiated?  The SD web interface makes it look like I have
> to pick a unique nearby zipcode (pretty sure that's what I did years
> ago); is that the way?  [If I can't be sure, I can pay for a brand-new
> account (a couple months or a year) to guarantee they stay separate,
> although I just paid for a new year on the old one and I assume that
> money's sunk.  I'd rather use the existing SD acct, but only if safe.]
>
> (b) Is it wise to use the Mythbuntu Control Panel to do the initial
> setup, or should I install everything "by hand" without installing MCP?
>
> (c) I've seen rumblings on the list re MySQL compatibility.  Should I
> preinstall MariaDB instead, and if I do, will MCP install MySQL anyway
> or will it see that the dependency is satisfied if I install MariaDB
> first?  (And I assume if it installs MySQL I can just remove that and
> leave/reinstall MariaDB, if MariaDB is currently the recommended DB?)
>
> (d) Should I prefer the JSON or the SQLite versions of the XMLTV grabber?
> If I use MCP, will it enforce a choice?  Do I still have to worry about
> configuring either grabber differently so it doesn't try to use gigs of
> RAM?  (I have a vague feeling that might have been solved between the
> version of 31 prepackaged w/20.04 and the current version, but I haven't
> checked when that may or may not have been fixed; the version the non-PPA
> 20.04 ships is claimed to be 2:31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1.)
>
> (e) I'll be using a Ceton 6ETH (or a couple of them) to capture.
> I've stashed away a few sets of advice on this over the years, and have
> already paired one with a CableCard and ensured that works.  So far,
> it/they will be sharing my network, although I hope to add Ethernet
> ports to the production backend eventually to reduce packet contention.
> [...]

I can point you to the last time I built from scratch a backend. It is also
used as a server for the whole house.  These are the step by
step instructions I used last summer to completely start over.  You could
restore a saved database and restore the old recordings, but I didn't this
time. My RAID drives were already set up and Ubuntu added them in without
having to be rebuilt.

https://mythtvinstall.blogspot.com/2020/07/combined-mythtv-v31-media-system-and.html

My frontends vary, but mythfrontend on PC, Macs, Raspberry PIs, and FireTV
4K all work with this backend setup.

Jim A