[mythtv-users] UK - ITV4 channel change

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 17:53:03 UTC 2021

On 27/06/2021 15:27, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I discovered yesterday that I have my own scheduling curiosity.
>
> I cusomarily record the Tour de France, which is broadcast on ITV4,
> usually channel 24. Yesterday I had the option of watching it live and
> discovered that channel 24 was "not available"; looked in the EPG and
> found it had moved to 25.
>
> This morning it occurred to me to find out what I had actually recorded
> on 24 yesterday. What I found was a low-bitrate broadcast of the Tour,
> exactly as I had watched, but with one oddity: The only sound was
> ambient. That is, I had the motorbike noise, crowds, even the two major
> crashes, but no commentary. Oddly this even extended to the adverts!
> Perfect high-quality adverts /with music/ but no voices!
>
> Now about to do a rescan existing channels :(

I use only one DVB-T/T2 transmitter, and I'm running master. Scans today
still have ITV4 as channel 24; but there were two "new" channels whose
LogicalChannelNumbers were already in use, and I accepted the suggestion
to renumber them with an "A" suffix.

I now have 3 like that:  Sky Arts 11A, Shopping Quarter 72A, and That's
TV Gold 91A.   IIRC Freeview did a block shift of numbers a few months
ago; something about getting  BBC FOUR into a default package of channels.

I usually scan with the 'all known transports' option, and I might  well
get a different set of numbers from a 'full scan' or a new 'video
source'.   All a result of attempts by different agencies to provide
'stability' when its definition isn't unique.

John P