[mythtv-users] Logitech Harmony remote replacement - SofaBaton U1 ?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Jun 20 22:11:03 UTC 2021

On 20/06/2021 22:10, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On Jun 20, 2021, at 1:18 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net
>> <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 05:34:27PM +0100, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
>>> Sadly my logitech harmony remote is finally giving up; there are now too
>>> many non-functioning keys to make it viable.
>>>
>>> That, plus the sad/annoying news that logitech have EOL'd Harmony means I
>>> need an alternative.  It just needs to drive a Panasonic TV and the
>>> MythTV
>>> box (MCE, lirc).
>>>
>>> Does anyone use the SofaBaton U1?
>>>
>>> http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html <http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html>
>>>
>>> Is it any good?
>>>
>>> Or does anyone have a suggestion for alternatives?
>>
>> The Sofabaton is my expected fallback when/if my Harmony's quit
>> working.  Sadly, I don't know of any other affordable, universal,
>> bluetooth remotes.
>>

> What about something like this….
>
> https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF
> <https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-G9F-Bluetooth-Rechargeable-Firestick/dp/B08T1B2FTF>
>
> Has qwerty keybd on one side and traditional remote keys on other side.
> It is both bluetooth and IR.
>
> Amazon has several other items similar.

That doesn't look to support multiple modes - programmable, but just one
function per key.

The Sofabaton, on the other hand, does look like it would do the job. It
doesn't seem to directly support the Harmony's concept of activity, but
I think it could be tricked into behaving similarly, just that switching
activity would be two steps rather than one: select the activity with
the scroll wheel and then press a button reserved for setting up all the
devices appropriately.