[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Scott Colbeck scolbeck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 05:07:10 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:26 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

I been using MythTV since 2005.  I stopped using Mythfrontend about 10
years ago in favor of Kodi with the MythTV plugin to view recordings.  Here
are my suggestion on areas to concentrate work on:
 - Focus on the core backend recording, xmltv configuration, and commercial
skip logic.
 - Abandon work on Mythfrontend and instead enhance features of plugins to
Kodi/Plex/Emby/others.
 - Update MythWeb for recording scheduling/management.