[mythtv-users] Leanfront better support for embedded subtitles than mythfrontend

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Jun 6 16:15:57 UTC 2021

On 06/06/2021 12:04, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Leanfront and Mythfrontend are both working really well for me these
> days, and I tend to choose which to use fairly randomly. There is,
> however, an issue that sometimes pushes me to choose one over the other.
> Leanfront will often display embedded subtitles when mythfrontend wont.
> Mythfrontent recognises the subtitles are there and allows them to be
> enabled, but then doesn't display anything.
>
> I'm building my own packages. Could it be that I'm leaving off a build
> flag that is important for working subtitles?
>
> On the other hand, for external subtitles, I find that leanfront doesn't
> handle them, whereas Mythfrontend usually does.

I stupidly left out a very important condition in describing this
problem. For recorded broadcast content, both Leanfront and Mythfrontent
display subtitles just fine. It is downloaded content where I see
Leanfront displaying subtitles and Mythfrontend not.

ffmpeg outputs this for the problematic streams:

   Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: subrip