[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Steve Goodey steve at goodey.org
Fri Jun 4 19:20:35 UTC 2021

On Friday, 4 June 2021 14:17:48 BST Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data
> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand
> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in
> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.
>

> Paul H.

Hello,

As a UK user I record most of my TV from OTA using DVB-T/T2 EIT and I use
MythTV every day. I use Mytharchive and occasionally Firefox browser on the
same box as MythTV for BBC iplayer and Britbox.

Mythfrontend/backend user interface is fine as are the various themes.

Installing/upgrading can be an adventure! But having written down the steps
after several clean installs/database restores I get there in the end.

Thanks for all the work involved in MythTV. If you could extend the number of
hours in the day so I could catch up with all the recordings I have on MythTV
that would be great.

Regards Steve.