[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 19:11:16 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, 9:27 AM Paul Harrison, <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

First off, I've been using MythTV since I ditched cable in 2011. A million
thank yous to the developers and community.

I use MythTV to record OTA TV in North America and I'm slowly adding to my
video library.

Streaming services: I have had  some different streaming boxes over the
years and since changing to another hdmi source is not heavy lifting, I
don't need MythTV to be a Swiss army knife and interface with YouTube,
Netflix, etc.

Video library: I haven't used Plex but it appears the library interface is
more attractive. But I don't sit staring at the library interface for
hours, so as long as I can choose something from my library and play it
well, that's what's important. Support for 4K too.

Recording/playback TV: I use this a lot to track down episodes of shows we
watch, want to discover on OTA TV. Again, the important thing is good
playback and support for the eventual 4K atsc3 broadcasts.

I agree lirc can be a headache but a Flirc dongle gets around that, or a
Bluetooth remote.