[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Jeff jffry at posteo.net
Fri Jun 4 13:47:31 UTC 2021

Hi Paul,

On 04/06/2021 15:17, Paul Harrison wrote:
> We can see from the number of Scheduled Direct users and the Smolt data

> that MythTV is losing users at an ever increasing rate.  We think one
> reason for this is it's getting harder and harder to record stuff
> because more services are becoming encrypted requiring proprietary boxes
> to view and record content and some services are moving to an on-demand

> type of service that are hard or impossible to record.
>

> So the question is what improvements would you like to see in MythTV in

> the future that would persuade you to continue to use it? Would you like
> to see better support for YouTube for example or a better video media
> library. Better music player? Support for IPTV services? What plugins do
> you use?  What plugins would you like to see? Are you happy with the
> user interface or would you like to see a more modern one?
>

> Give us your thoughts on what direction you would like to see MythTV
> take now it's original purpose is slowing being killed of.

I've been using MythTV since it replaced a TiVo some eight years ago.

My main criticism is that the frontend no longer plays HD content
fluidly on my RaspberryPi 3, and so I now use a Kodi frontend with the
MythTV backend. If the frontend played HD content better, then I would
ditch Kodi again.

I have minor issues with things like internet radio being very flaky to
set up and use.

I don't intend to use paid-for streaming services or the like.

Regards

Jeff