[mythtv-users] Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 18:16:51 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:04:36 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> from my

> 200%
> >> enough

> >> improved

> solid

> back
> for

> in a

> tricks
> settings
> >> hardware

> >> the TV.

> ports
> usually

> issues

> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

> >> There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
> >> have it.  HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
> >> an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
> >>
> >> I did an experiment. I plugged in my NUC PC directly to my HDMI2 TV
> port.
> >I could not see anything until I changed the HDMI UHD color setting to
> turn
> >OFF HDMI 2.0. At that point I could see the PC desktop, but it was only
> >4K at 30.  To get 4K at 60 I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 support.
> >
> >So now I'm back on my HDMI 2.0 Switch and HDMI 2.0 support is turned on
> for
> >that HDMI1 port. The PC is set to 4K at 60 and the TV info shows 4K at 60. I
> also
> >have a Nividia Shield TV connected to the switch and it works at full
> 4K at 60.
> >
> >While trying to write this email the screen has blanked out for a second
> >twice.
> >
> >Rebooting seems to be my only choice.  However, I'm very curious why the
> PC
> >directly connected to the TV HDMI2 port can run 4K at 60 with the TV in HDMI
> >2.0 mode??
> >
> >Since the EDID switches are expensive and so are newer UHD TV's, I'm stuff
> >for now.
> >
> >Jim A
>
> If it is an EDID problem, you can always just copy the EDID data and
> tell set up the xorg.conf to point to it.  In Ubuntu, install the
> read-edid package and run:
>
> get-edid >edid.bin
>
> Put the edid.bin file into /etc/X11, then make the Device section of
> /etx/X11/xorg.conf look something like this:
>
> Section "Device"
>   Identifier     "nvidia"
>   Driver         "nvidia"
>   Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
>   Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
>   Option         "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>   Option         "UseEDID" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Change the DFP-0 to match what you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and use
> the matching Identifier and Driver names.

So currently I don't have an xorg.conf.  So how is the correct way to
create it so I can change the Device section?

Also my system only has the Intel Xe Graphics.

FYI my Xorg.log is at: "/home/jim/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log"

Checking there I think the DFP-0 should be HDMI-1

[    30.185] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-1
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output HDMI-2
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-2
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): EDID for output DP-3
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 disconnected
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-2 disconnected
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-2 disconnected
[    30.227] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-3 disconnected

Jim A