[mythtv-users] Video and sound turning off for 2 seconds then returning

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jul 25 16:37:39 UTC 2021

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:04:36 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>> enough

>> improved

>> hardware

>> the TV.

>> >The switch I picked was about $40 and worked great until I started
>> >testing at 4K at 60. I tried using the second HDMI on the TV but had issues
>> >with that, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. Since I split the
>> >output of the switch with a HDMI 2.0 digital audio extractor. I didn't
>> >want to go that route.
>> >
>> >the switch I use is
>> >

>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>> >
>> >Jim A
>>
>> There is no sign on that page of EDID support, so it likely does not
>> have it.  HDMI switches with EDID support normally tell you as it is
>> an important feature, and justifies higher cost.
>>
>> I did an experiment. I plugged in my NUC PC directly to my HDMI2 TV port.
>I could not see anything until I changed the HDMI UHD color setting to turn
>OFF HDMI 2.0. At that point I could see the PC desktop, but it was only
>4K at 30.  To get 4K at 60 I have to turn on HDMI 2.0 support.
>
>So now I'm back on my HDMI 2.0 Switch and HDMI 2.0 support is turned on for
>that HDMI1 port. The PC is set to 4K at 60 and the TV info shows 4K at 60. I also
>have a Nividia Shield TV connected to the switch and it works at full 4K at 60.
>
>While trying to write this email the screen has blanked out for a second
>twice.
>
>Rebooting seems to be my only choice.  However, I'm very curious why the PC
>directly connected to the TV HDMI2 port can run 4K at 60 with the TV in HDMI
>2.0 mode??
>
>Since the EDID switches are expensive and so are newer UHD TV's, I'm stuff
>for now.
>
>Jim A

If it is an EDID problem, you can always just copy the EDID data and
tell set up the xorg.conf to point to it.  In Ubuntu, install the
read-edid package and run:

get-edid >edid.bin

Put the edid.bin file into /etc/X11, then make the Device section of
/etx/X11/xorg.conf look something like this:

Section "Device"
  Identifier     "nvidia"
  Driver         "nvidia"
  Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
  Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
  Option         "IgnoreEDID" "false"
  Option         "UseEDID" "true"
EndSection

Change the DFP-0 to match what you see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and use
the matching Identifier and Driver names.