[mythtv-users] Database damage?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:48:49 UTC 2021

On 14/02/2021 04:09, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 2021-02-12 9:52 p.m., Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Waaay OT, but after my first HDHR power wart failed, I purchased some
> power plugs of the correct size for the HDHR and some Molex sockets and
> wired the HDHR's into the 5V line of the mythbox' power supply. There is
> lots of empty space in the case, so the splitter and the HDHRs ended up
> mounted in the computer case: two coax cables from the antennas inbound
> and two cat5 cables to the router outbound.
>
> If I carved away some of the case, I could actually mount the router
> into the computer case too, but sloth, lethargy and procrastination have
> absolutely precluded me from getting to that "problem".

While that's not a bad idea (but always check that your HDHR actually
requires 5V for its power supply -- future models might not) one should
also always protect the circuit by means of a fuse that's rated the same
or a very small amount more than the original power supply.

The reason is that if there is a fault in the powered device (in this
case the HDHR) which causes it to draw more power than expected, the
computer's power supply will be able to actually supply that additional
amount of power, thereby pumping much more energy into the failing
device than its safety design assumes. This can cause a fire if not
detected in time.