[mythtv-users] Anyone running MythTV 31 on 32-bit x86 with nVidia card?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:56:11 UTC 2021

My trusty old frontend is a 32-bit x86 machine with a GT 430 nVidia card.

Quite some time ago I upgraded to MythTV 30.0 but ended up reverting
back to 29.1 because I had some issues with some (though not most)
h264 videos. Specifically, some h264 videos would fail the VDPAU
decode and fallback to software decoding. These were videos that used
VDPAU with no issue in other players like xine, and also in MythTV
29.1. This was never resolved and was an issue that apparently
couldn't be reproduced on 64 bit systems.

My understanding is that the FFmpeg hardware acceleration code has
been radically changed in version 31.

As per the subject, if anyone is running MythTV 31 on 32-bit x86 and
is using an nVidia GPU, it would help me enormously if they could test
this example:

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-60-mbps-hd-h264.mkv

...and see if it uses VDPAU decoding, which can be determined during
playback from the menu under Playback -> Playback Data.

That would be a huge help if anyone can test that. Thanks!

Tom