[mythtv-users] mac build

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 7 14:37:57 UTC 2021

> On Feb 7, 2021, at 9:17 AM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The key is that you don’t have to download any ports--and possibly build some from source.  An installer is kept that contains a compressed archive of all the files contained in the port.
>
> Thanks Craig, that is a great tip!
>
> BTW - I'm trying a variant of your suggested "PKG_CONFIG_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH" fix.
>
> It turns out that I already have in the compile script where PKGMGR_INST_PATH=/opt/local :
> PKG_CONFIG_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH=$PKGMGR_INST_PATH/include
>
> Which I believe sets the search path to look for macports dylibs first, then the local ones - hence why a local ffmpeg install stomps the dylibs in the mythtv compile.
>
> I'm changing that to:
> PKG_CONFIG_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH=$SRC_DIR/external:$PKGMGR_INST_PATH/include
>
> Which I hope makes the compiler / pkg_config first look for the locally compiled mythtv ffmpeg libraries.

The pkg-config environment variable works sort of the opposite that you might expect.  "PKG_CONFIG_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH=${prefix}/include” means DON’T supply that include path in the list of returned directories as it is assumed to be the default (last) search path when compiling.

I found out about this on the pkg-config mailing list:

> This isn't documented (should be), but you can override pkg-config's notion of the system include path with the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH. If that's not set, it uses the compiled in defaults. That's been in pkg-config for a long time, so it should work with the version you have. This should be in the form of a path style variable with : separators.

Craig