[mythtv-users] edit mode on recordings questions

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:19:58 UTC 2021

On 30/12/2021 18:15, George Bingham wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 4:40 AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/12/2021 02:22, George Bingham wrote:
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > I am using mythtv v31.0+fixes from 11/08.
>      >
>      > I have recently been switching around themes. I am usually on
>      > Functionality 31.0, but occasionally switch to Mythcenter-Wide
>     1.7, and
>      > noticed again when I am in edit mode on a recording, that there
>     seems to
>      > be an extra graphic, above the graphic that shows where
>     commercial edits
>      > & cuts are, that looks kinda like a sound-wave graphic.
>      >
>      > Is that what it is?   Have not been convinced lately, and not
>     sure if it
>      > works as intended. It may not show up until you back it up by one
>      > keyframe or more from a cutpoint.  What is it supposed to represent?
>      >   Also if you position the pointer one or more keyframes ahead (i.e.
>      > opposite of backing up through a non-cut area) it doesn't change
>     - at
>      > least on my setup.
>      >
>      > If I back up a few keyframes again, it will update again once
>     I pass the
>      > point I was at previously.
>      >
>      > Does anyone know what I'm typing about? I could include a
>     screenshot of
>      > what I'm describing, but I forget exactly how to include pictures
>      > without using attachments. You may need to use the
>     mythcenter-wide theme
>      > to ever even see what I'm trying to describe.
>      >
>      > Just hoping for an explanation, and maybe confirmation of what it
>      > represents, and how it can be helpful when making edits.
>      >
>      > Thanks,
>      >
>      >
>      > -- George
>
>     It's the AudioOutputGraph (AOG) and, as you say, it doesn't really work
>     as claimed.  I tried to make it more useful but eventually gave up.
>
>     https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12901
>     <https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12901>
>
>     Since then there have been a few minor tweaks relating to data
>     overflow,
>     but I'm not aware of anything more.
>
>     John P

> Thanks John,
>
> That's what I figured, I thought it might be a good way to "fine tune"
> my commercial edits so I don't get the brief ending commercial sound (or
> brief starting commercial sound), but didn't think it was really working
> properly.
>
> Probably not a high priority, but still worthy of a feature request?
>
> Might this be different in v32?
>
> Thanks everyone,

> [...]

In the recent past editing has never seemed an exciting topic.  For
video I have found cutting at keyframes is usually adequate, using the
picture to select which one;  people in the US have said this doesn't
work for them.  With DVB radio there are no visual clues, and I found
that the AOG display of the BBC time signal would often be several
seconds adrift, while IIRC the claimed extent of the graph is tens of
ms.  Ears do it better.

The editor in master does have a more recent problem of unexpected
hangups lasting 20 s.  It's annoying but not disastrous.  Issue #344.

John