[mythtv-users] convoluted questiom

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 13:49:34 UTC 2021

Hi James!

> I want to take a camera
>
> a) stream it
> b) preview at will
> c) record at will
>
> mythtv is perfect except I do not want any GUI, only programatic invocation.
> I?ve not studied the API eg I find StopRecording but no StartRevording, can anyone offer advice?

I'm probably misinterpreting your whole inquiry but it appears Motion
and CCTV-Viewer might fit the bill.  Motion is at
https://github.com/Motion-Project/motion ; CCTV-Viewer at
https://snapcraft.io/cctv-viewer .  There is also MotionEye, based on
Motion, however I had problems with it.

I'm not sure of what you mean by "programatic invocation"; perhaps
'automatically record when something going on'?  Motion can be set for
various degrees of activity detection.

The cameras output to their individual ports on the IP Address; I don't
know how to get that data to a TV channel on MythTV -- think "source"
rather than "channel"?

> All works properley but
> I get messages about ?your computer is too slow? (4core 4G i5 !!)

Maybe the framerate is too slow and so it thinks the computer is the
problem?  Here I'm using Raspberry Pi 4's with 4 GB and slowed down the
framerate to 5 fps just to keep the recordings to a reasonable size.

> The resultant recordings
> are perfect with vlc + linux
> are perfect with vlc + winders
> stutter vlc mac.
>
> Mac is not relevant*except*  the recordings are probably broken.
> what tool can I use to spelunk the recording

If the same recording displays fine under Linux and Windows then it
should also be fine with MacOS.  Perhaps a bad install of the Mac VLC,
outdated codec.  (WAG)

Barry