[mythtv-users] Help with playback issue on recordings from a single channel

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 02:51:42 UTC 2021

Hoi Vincent,

Saturday, December 25, 2021, 2:25:59 AM, you wrote:

> I've been living with and frustrated by a problem with recordings
> from my local CBS broadcast channel.

> It all started when my local station added a new digital
> sub-channel.   I know this because my problem started on March 1st
> and a call to the station engineer confirmed changes were made to
> the broadcast signal early that Sunday morning. He says, "Everything
> in this encoding scheme is industry standard, so I wouldn’t expect
> there to be any problem decoding it with commercial equipment."  I'm
> not technical enough to determine what has changed that would give
> mythtv so much trouble.  Here are the symptoms:

> Prior to the change, I used VDPAU High Quality Video Playback
> Profile.   After the change, this profile on the bad channel will
> eventually cause my machine to lock up.  It starts with some serious
> macro blocking and then eventually freezes the display and I have to
> use power reset to recover my machine.   I discovered I am able to
> view the programs using Open GL High Quality.   I'm not happy about
> the higher CPU, but at least I can watch my programs.   However, two other bad symptoms manifest.

> After the change, the timing information of the recordings is off.
> A 60 minute recording, when paused will report as 75 minutes.

> I suspect this is related to the third symptom which is that skip
> forward or back doesn't work properly.  The first skip forward will
> actually jump backward some random offset (usually 3 or 4 minutes)
> and then progress forward from there with repeated commands.   A
> skip backward does the same thing (first skip offset backwards 3 to 4 minutes).

> Note: I don't run any transcoding jobs on my recordings.   I've
> upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04.3 with latest mythtv patches
> (31.0+fixes.202111081900.25f1bb1d12~ubuntu20.04.1).

> Any suggestions?

To fix the skipping and the recordinglength, try rebuilding the
seektables:

 /usr/bin/mythcommflag --rebuild -f %FILE% -V %VERBOSELEVEL%

I created a small shell script I called: RebuildSeekTable.sh

  #!/bin/bash
  declare FileName=${1:-""}
  [ "$FileName" == "" ] && exit 0
  declare Vlevel=${2:-206158430210}
  /usr/bin/mythcommflag --rebuild -f $FileName -V $Vlevel
  exit $?

And then created a userjob containing:

  <path to the script>/RebuildSeekTable.sh %FILE% %VERBOSELEVEL%

This way I can either automatically or manually run this job on any
misbehaving recordings.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven