[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings from <= 0.27 to 31

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Dec 22 18:09:04 UTC 2021

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:08:31 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm getting ready to replace a family member's MythTV backend with a new
>PC. The new PC will have MythTV 31. The old PC has a > 7 year old MythTV
>(0.27 or earlier) with a few dozen recordings. The recording schedule is
>pretty simple so I'm OK with starting from scratch with a new
>configuration were it not for the recordings.
>
>Originally I'd thought I'd convert the recordings to videos on the old
>backend then 'scp' them over to the new backend, but I'm not having any
>luck with the mythvidexport2.py script I downloaded: a job gets added to
>the queue but sits there and never runs. Also I see that the script has
>to do some kind of encoding of the video file. This has me concerned
>that it might get time-consuming to migrate a lot of recordings this way.
>
>Now I see that it might be possible to restore the old backend's
>database on the new backend system.
>
>Questions:
>
>1. What is the correct way to submit a user job and force it to run as
>soon as possible?

User jobs need to be enabled, and there are settings for how many user
jobs can be run at once - generally this should not be set any higher
than the number of CPU cores available.  The job queue is only checked
every so often (30 seconds?) and if there is a spare slot for a job,
the top job will be started.

>2. Is it safe to use the mythconverg_restore.pl script to do a full
>restore of a backup taken on a <= 0.27 backend to a 31 backend?

No.  It depends on just how old the database schema is.  I can not
remember where the cutoff point is, but v31 only has schema update
code back a certain number of versions.  If the database schema is
older than that, you have to do the upgrade in two steps.  First you
install an older MythTV version (say 0.27, but I am not sure of the
correct version) that has all the older schema update code.  You
restore the database on that version, run mythtv-setup to update the
schema, and then backup that database.  Then you can restore this
intermediate database to a v31 system and run mythtv-setup to get it
updated to the v31 schema.  The easy way to do this is to use a
virtual machine, and install Ubuntu 16.04 say (if that has the correct
intermediate MythTV version).  You can find out the last version that
has all the older schema update code by reading the release notes on
the mythtv.org website.  A number of people have done this sort of
upgrade now, and it is reasonably straightforward, if rather tedious.

>3. Assuming I can do a full database restore, is there anything I have
>to do with the recordings other than 'scp' them to a recordings storage
>directory on the new backend?

No, there is nothing else that needs doing.  But scp is very slow
compared to using a SAMBA connection (the traffic is encrypted).  Even
better is to just take the old hard drive(s) from the old machine and
temporarily attach them to the new PC and copy from one drive to the
other.  Or just mount them permanently on the new PC and point storage
directories to them.