[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings from <= 0.27 to 31

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 17:08:31 UTC 2021

I'm getting ready to replace a family member's MythTV backend with a new
PC. The new PC will have MythTV 31. The old PC has a > 7 year old MythTV
(0.27 or earlier) with a few dozen recordings. The recording schedule is
pretty simple so I'm OK with starting from scratch with a new
configuration were it not for the recordings.

Originally I'd thought I'd convert the recordings to videos on the old
backend then 'scp' them over to the new backend, but I'm not having any
luck with the mythvidexport2.py script I downloaded: a job gets added to
the queue but sits there and never runs. Also I see that the script has
to do some kind of encoding of the video file. This has me concerned
that it might get time-consuming to migrate a lot of recordings this way.

Now I see that it might be possible to restore the old backend's
database on the new backend system.

Questions:

1. What is the correct way to submit a user job and force it to run as
soon as possible?

2. Is it safe to use the mythconverg_restore.pl script to do a full
restore of a backup taken on a <= 0.27 backend to a 31 backend?

3. Assuming I can do a full database restore, is there anything I have
to do with the recordings other than 'scp' them to a recordings storage
directory on the new backend?

Thanks,
Dave