[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Dec 11 20:28:33 UTC 2021

On 12/11/21 2:33 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 11/12/2021 04:22, Mark Wedel wrote:
>> I'm probably more in the edge case, that I want MB that support 2 video cards - one is for mythtv, and one is for my general linux desktop - I really didn't want to have an extra computer sitting around just to act as a FE, and I do prefer the really snappy performance of using mythfrontend on a fairly powerful computer.
>>
> You do know that most modern video cards can support more than one output simultaneously?
>
> Obviously a lot depends on OS, chipset, etc but that ability has been around for a long time. Many modern MBs have 2xHDMI, 2xDisplayport or 1 of each.

  Yes, I know that.  However, last I looked, one could not have 2 different X-servers using the same video card/resources.  If I have a single X-server running the local linux display (normal interactive stuff) and another running a remote TV, I then run into issues of window focus for the FE and directing input into it.

  I also run the FE in a script, such that if it (or the X-server) dies, it restarts everything.  While things are pretty stable, it occasionally does happen that something crashes, and being able to only restart the myth portion with affecting my interactive session is nice.

  I maybe should re-examine this - at one point this was also driven in that the FE was connected to 2 different TVs via a splitter, which had different properties.  So I had set up a hot key on my remote that would cause mythtv to run a script, switch the resolution of the X-server to what the TV supports (either 720p or 1080p), change the profile that mythtv would run as (different audio capabilities) and restart the FE.  I don't have that issue anymore.