[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 13:59:12 UTC 2021

Ian:

>>> Of course, I'm deciding that I might want to build a modern system as
>>> the old combo  front/backend was limited in speed and memory.
>>>
>>> As I peruse possible holiday sales, I wanted to pick yer brains.
>>>
>>> - Will be a backend only, probably using Shield/Chromecast as frontend
>>> - most of the budget will be for at least a couple of 12+ TB NAS
>>> drives for recordings/video library
>>> - AMD? Intel? Speed? Cores?
>>> - motherboard suggestions? Perhaps an NVME for OS/database, but enough
>>> SATA connections for possible expansion past two storage drives.
>>> - case: current case is just over a foot tall. Limited bays. Would
>>> like a case that can hold at least four 3.5 inch drives.
>>>
>>> If anyone has built a backend lately, I'd love to hear your choices.
>> I built a BE/FE a few months ago. I cared about wake-on-lan and
>> luckily the Gigabyte
>> B550M DS3H that I got supports it. I got an AMD quad core Ryzen 3 pro 4350g
>> with integrated graphics. All seems to work fine. My only regret is that I
>> got a non-stock CPU fan that turned out both larger, and louder, than the
>> original. The stock AMD fan cannot be replaced after removal, so don't put
>> it on until you're really sure!

Based on limited personal experience and what a friend says who is ran a
private repair business the stock AMD CPU heat sink/fan combos are meant
to be meant to be tossed: they barely cool a lightly working CPU.  With
the AMD FX-9320 CPU/heatsink combo my 'workhorse' computer (not the
Backend) was idling at about 130°F and eventually was overheating and
shutting down while doing overnight backups.  Not good.  Replaced the
heatsink and fan with a CoolerMaster EVO 212 and I've gotten down to the
upper 80's.

As for the sound level, I've got a couple of CoolerMasters around the
house and essentially silent.  I think the case fans are noisier.  Check
the dB ratings: lower number is quieter.  New fans can be a lot quieter
than the ones you are using now: engineered with less turbulence while
increasing air flow (oh yeah: for the cfm value  higher is better).

Be sure to remove the heat!  A single case fan might not be enough.

You might also wish to monitor your temperatures: here I use a utility
called 'psensor'.

Barry