[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade error - mysql8

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 19:46:15 UTC 2021

On 12/11/21 1:32 PM, John Hoyt wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >   SET GLOBAL validate_password.policy=LOW;
>     >   ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
>
>     Try dot policy where I had an underscore. Fixed above.
>

> Still no luck
>
>     mysql> SET GLOBAL validate_password.policy=LOW;
>     Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>

>     mysql> ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
>     ERROR 1819 (HY000): Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements
>

>     Another stab at finding a .cnf file:
>
>       sudo updatedb;sudo grep --recursive validate_password /etc/mysql $(locate ".cnf")
>

> unfortunately this also returns a null response.
>
> Digging for anything with password in it yields:
>
>     /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf:default_authentication_plugin= mysql_native_password
>

>     And, the Note just above here:
>     https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-options-variables.html#option_mysqld_validate-password
>     <https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-options-variables.html#option_mysqld_validate-password>
>     may be of interest. Do you somehow have the validate_password plugin installed?
>
>     When I do: SHOW PLUGINS, I don't have the validate_password one. The link in the Note above
>     also mentions the validate_plugin being deprecated and replaces by a component of the same
>

> Here's my SHOW PLUGINS output - I don't see validate_password in there anywhere:
> mysql> SHOW PLUGINS;

... agree, no match ...

The validate_password<dot>policy means that you're using a component,
not the 'old' validate_password<underscore>policy plugin.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-installation.html
says how to install it, which I believe is the case.

You could do the grep --recursive plugin /etc/mysql and see if a plugin_dir
exists. Then look under there for a component_validate_password file. Or

  sudo locate component_validate

to see if it shows up. It doesn't on my host, which makes sense since
I don't have the failure or the settings.

I found this: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-installation.html
which is helpful.

This is a possible reason: https://graspingtech.com/install-mysql-ubuntu/
Look for VALIDATE PASSWORD about midway down the page and see if it rings any
bells with you.

There may be other things that cause the password to fail, try: SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'validate_pass%';
Details here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/validate-password-options-variables.html
"mythtv" is shorter than 8 in the example etc.

I didn't mention the simple solution, change the password to Mythtv1$ or
something else to satisfy the validation.

--
Bill