[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 10 19:44:22 UTC 2021

On 12/10/2021 11:31 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
> Late 2020, I had a thread "Slightly OT: Powering up remotely" that
> discussed an issue with my mythtv box at home while I was in
> self-imposed quarantine outside the city.
>
> Long story short, I made it back in yesterday and instead of
> confronting a system waiting for some drive prompt as we thought, it
> looks like the power supply had called it quits after a decade.
>
> Of course, I'm deciding that I might want to build a modern system as
> the old combo  front/backend was limited in speed and memory.
>
> As I peruse possible holiday sales, I wanted to pick yer brains.
>
> - Will be a backend only, probably using Shield/Chromecast as frontend
> - most of the budget will be for at least a couple of 12+ TB NAS
> drives for recordings/video library
> - AMD? Intel? Speed? Cores?
> - motherboard suggestions? Perhaps an NVME for OS/database, but enough
> SATA connections for possible expansion past two storage drives.
> - case: current case is just over a foot tall. Limited bays. Would
> like a case that can hold at least four 3.5 inch drives.
>
> If anyone has built a backend lately, I'd love to hear your choices.
>
> Thanks!

I recently rebuilt my desktop with a new MB.  You mentioned powering up
remotely in your post.  One thing I have noticed is that the ethernet
adapters that are built into the MBs now no longer seem to support wake
on LAN (WOL).  The ethernet chips do (they advertise it) and you can set
it (via ethtool), but it has no effect (I don't think the chip is wired
up to implement it).  This is a detail that is hard to determine before
you purchase.  I also needed a kernel > = 5.10 to work with the newer
ethernet chips (Ubuntu 20.04.1 + HWE).
I like my old SilverStone case.  The MediaPC case I am using now is
smaller (not as deep) which is a plus, but room for only 3 drives with
little air flow for them.  When I do my next rebuild, I will go back to
my old SilverStone case.
Jay