[mythtv-users] Motherboard / case suggestions for early 2022 backend

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:31:03 UTC 2021

Late 2020, I had a thread "Slightly OT: Powering up remotely" that
discussed an issue with my mythtv box at home while I was in self-imposed
quarantine outside the city.

Long story short, I made it back in yesterday and instead of confronting a
system waiting for some drive prompt as we thought, it looks like the power
supply had called it quits after a decade.

Of course, I'm deciding that I might want to build a modern system as the
old combo  front/backend was limited in speed and memory.

As I peruse possible holiday sales, I wanted to pick yer brains.

- Will be a backend only, probably using Shield/Chromecast as frontend
- most of the budget will be for at least a couple of 12+ TB NAS drives for
recordings/video library
- AMD? Intel? Speed? Cores?
- motherboard suggestions? Perhaps an NVME for OS/database, but enough SATA
connections for possible expansion past two storage drives.
- case: current case is just over a foot tall. Limited bays. Would like a
case that can hold at least four 3.5 inch drives.

If anyone has built a backend lately, I'd love to hear your choices.

Thanks!