[mythtv-users] Thoughts on these recertified HGST drives ?

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 16:24:50 UTC 2021

I’ve reached that “need more space again” time (especially as SWMBO has started on the “don’t delete that, I might want to watch it again), and looking around I see that CPC have some 6TB drives for £89 each.
https://cpc.farnell.com/hitachi/hus726060ale610-0f23001/drive-wd-ultrastar-6tb-sata-recertified/dp/CS34436
I’m assuming they’ll all be around the same age as the one in the photo - so 6 years, and I’m guessing they’ve probably been running 27/7 in some storage array or server. But HGST had a pretty good reputation before it disappeared (into WD ?) - and if they were OK after 5 years in service, they’re probably OK for a few more years.

Anyone got any thoughts as to why not move my recordings onto a couple of these ?

Simon