[mythtv-users] No audio after upgrading video card

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Dec 10 04:51:39 UTC 2021

On 12/9/21 2:35 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:

> Nowadays you have a lot of audio devices in your system:
> - the on board audio device, possibly in analog and in digital
> - the on board hdmi video device, possibly mono and stereo
> - your analog capturecard(s) one for each tuner
> - add-on hdmi video device
> - add-on audio device
> - the build in mic in your camera
> and possibly more and all possibly in several variations

  One thing that I think can be complicated is what encodings are enabled for the audio device.  If you are using HDMI, this is now digital audio, and there are a bunch of different things that may or may not be supported depending on the receiver (dolby, ac3, etc).

  My recollection is that doing the audio test works even if non supported formats are specified in the audio settings because the testing uses the most basic of the codex.  But when you play actual content, it will use more sophisticated codecs.  I'm not sure if this is just passing through what is in the stream being played back, or mythtv is doing the encoding but is now choosing a codec to give best results, which may not be something the receiver supports.

  In the audio settings there is something that says what codecs will be used.  I believe it will auto probe those, but you can try disabling some to see if it makes it work.