[mythtv-users] Upgrade Madness

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Dec 5 13:51:04 UTC 2021

On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 22:11:08 +1300, you wrote:

>Today I tried a few things to see if I could get IR blasting to work
>on my MCE hardware, but no luck so far.  At the moment, I seem to have
>screwed up my IR drivers enough that I will have to wait for a gap in
>the recording schedule so that I can reboot the MythTV box.  But by
>chance I ran across a post that mentioned a utility I had never heard
>of: ir-ctl.  This says that it can send to an IR transmitter directly
>without needing to use lirc and irsend.  On Ubuntu, it is installed as
>part of the v4l-utils package.  So that looks like a good option, if
>it works.  I hope to try it out later tonight after I have rebooted.

ir-ctl works for sending with my MCE hardware.  I put my transmitter
facing my receiver and was able to do commands like this:

ir-ctl -k /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce.toml -K KEY_DVD

and see the corresponding data from "ircat mythtv" in another window.

So it looks like all you will need to do is convert to the standard
devinput setup used for the new lirc version with MCE receivers, the
same as many others of us here on this list.  Then you can easily
change your STB channel change script to use ir-ctl instead of irsend.
You will have to convert your STB keycode file into .toml format,
which is easy - just look at the /lib/udev/rc_keymaps files and you
can see the required format.  It is not too different from the old
format, just some added double quotes and = characters and some header
lines.